Sunday, October 5, 2008

RETURN TO VIRTUE


Her 'return to virtue' talk reminded me of an Alexander Pope quote I heard many years ago in a R.S. lesson taught by LeAnn Mitchell in Springfield: "Vice is a monster of so frightful mien, As to be hated needs but to be seen; Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face, we first endure, then pity, then embrace." Sadly, it is too true today, even tho written over 250 years ago.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Great talk.

I loved her phrase "forever texting, but never coming to a knowledge of the truth."

I know it's shallow of me, but was I the only one distracted by all the black bows on her top?

Frankie/mom said...

First thing I noticed! :) At least they got our attention!

Keira said...

I kinda liked the bows--it was a departure from the norm.

And does anyone else think it's weird to see Nathan Mitchell on TV?

Bu he was always a really nice kid...

Stephen said...

I love the "Return to Virtue" call. "Return with Honor" is on a lot of things but I think "Return to Virtue" could be used by other churches.

I like the sound of it better than promise rings. It's a call for everyone to come back regardless of the mistakes you may have made.

Frankie/mom said...

Have any of you seen the film "Emma" in selected theatres. A few of us did and there he was, his whole 'NICE SELF' playing Joseph Smith. Weird for me since I've known him since his birth! But we're so proud of our 'hometown boy'. His mama told me yesterday she was on her way to 'tend' Nate's 3rd baby! just borned!!! Life truly does go on & on!