Sunday, May 10, 2009

Who is my mother? By Darrold Hanna

Who is my mother? Milburn Minor Hanna's wife. She was supportive, helpful and kind to my father all of his life. She was a care-giving daughter and loving sister. My mother gave up high school for her brothers, who now miss her. She became a nurse so that she could help one another. My mother learned care and tenderness from our elder brother (Christ). Our mother gave our family a sister, so tiny and cute. Mother was kind & wise and settled our every dispute. For her grandchildren she watched and cared and made many a meal. But they found out they should eat it all or they would get fried oatmeal! My mother was a tireless worker, both at the hospital and at home. She cooked and cleaned, ironed and shepherded us where ever we were to roam. She never missed church or service because she loved the Lord. My mother served a mission and from her I learn to sing every chord. She was my hero, my role model, my spiritual guide. She taught me honesty & to wake up early & in the Lord abide.

Who was my mother? She is an angel showering love. I know my mother is in paradise caring and sharing with everyone above. I pray daily that we might seek that heavenly place of peace and rest. I know my mother is working & laboring and always doing her best.

With love, Dad

4 comments:

Keira said...

I love you Dad.

Mad Runner said...

I miss Grandma too. She was a dedicated letter writer during my college years - using old paper at times so as not to waste anything. I miss her dry fudge and year (or two) old peeps in our Easter baskets. I miss her bread that only Marcy and I liked. I saved one loaf in the freezer for almost a year and shaved slices off so I could keep her memory close. Well, stated Dad!

m_perfect said...

I still have a lot of the letters grandma wrote me in college. I was always tired after reading them, she did soooo much! I,too, remember the cottage cheese and pipe cleaner Easter baskets she made for each of us and the wonderful bread. I remember listening to her sing in church and that she always put her everything into everything. I hope to be like her when I grow up.

Debbie said...

My dad, the poet. I loved your poem. I have many letters that Grandma wrote to me in college and through my early married life. She was a tireless worker - and always inspired me to try and work harder myself.