Friday, November 21, 2008

AN ENGLISH 'LOW TEA' PARTY CON HATS

The cute little teapot invitations went out. We were all invited to an authentic 'low tea' party. (who knew low tea was so named because it was served on a low table?!) Our hostess, Beth, (left rear with black hat/white bow, barely seen) has English lineage & has visited her country many times. One of our group (Linda) has cancer & is not given many months to tarry on this earth, so we have been wearing hats to church in a showing of solidarity because she has lost her hair to chemo & was the only person so adorned each sunday. (We love her, but not enough to shave our heads!) We buy them at Salvation Army, garage sales & even Dillards (but only on a REAL good sale). Linda is back row, pink dress, 5th from the right with straw colored hat. SOOO, that was the impetus for a party....to give her something fun to look forward to & for us to wear our proper hats & gloves (if we wished). Beth never does anything half-way, so I can promise you we had it all! All the fancy finger foods & treats, including bisquits, as they call cookies in England along with mulled cranberry hot drink. All impeccably served. We learned about high tea (yep, served on a high table!) & that it is served later in the evening usually with a meat course....so dinner? (The queen doesn't even start her high tea till 8 pm.) We played games, but mostly talked & had fun. Yes, we're a bunch of more mature sisters, (probably range in age from 45-80) but we sure have a great time together & I can't think of a more loving, thoughtful & supportive group I've been part of in my lifetime. Doesn't seem to be any petty snipings or gossiping & always looking for ways to help each other. I'm terribly proud to be part of their lives and am sooo grateful they are part of mine. I have found the older I get, the more important my relationships become. Girlfriends can be any age in any part of your life & they are the some of the richest blessings that, I believe, will certainly transcend this life into the next and furthermore, I believe we knew very well before we even arrived on this blue ball called earth. Worthy indeed of cultivation for eternity. I surely want some of them greeting me who already knew me and loved me anyway!

3 comments:

Keira said...

I love that you wore animal print to a tea party. Laura would definitely need to comment on the fabulousness.

It looks like you had such fun!

Suzanne said...

Looks like fun was had by all. What a great way to show your love to that sister.

Debbie said...

I had no idea about the low tea, high tea deal. I just thought high tea was fancy.

Live and learn, live and learn.